Monday, November 14, 2011

Module 12 - State of the News Media

Well when you have money and power; any threat to your success can bring out a sense of paranoia. In a sense, Nixon’s paranoia was justified because he was indeed guilty of wrong doing and the media was on to him. If Nixon was exposed by the media, then he would lose his money and power; therefore it makes sense.

Pierson and Anderson were out to get Nixon for his corruption with money. They knew Nixon was utilizing a slush fund account and being unethical with his political status. The press made multiple attempts to expose Richard Nixon, and continued their efforts even when they looked bad doing it. Journalist such as Pierson and Anderson did create a perception with Nixon that they were out for him. The pressure of exposing Nixon made sense because he was guilty for his actions; but assassination of Anderson by Nixon really caught my surprise. I knew that Political power can threaten people, but not by Mafia-style hits and assassinations.

I wouldn’t put it behind me in terms of powerful people involving themselves with tactics to silence people or with covering up scandals; however ordering assassinations and mob hits does not seem practical to me in this day and age. Technically it can be done, but there are too many other ways to get a point across then to result in organized murders.

After viewing the chart from source SNL Kagen; it made good sense that cable news total revenue dropped over the years. Personally I feel education about the bias and delivery of information has created a bad reputation with voters and audience. Growing up, I learned how media could create drama and create a perception amongst the viewers; therefore I was always skeptical about certain cable channels for getting my news. However I see improvements and I feel that cable channels will survive in the future. This type of media provides visuals to the audience and personally cable channels and television make it convenient and easier for people to keep up with political and current events on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. I will agree to disagree with you when it comes to Nixon. He did have money and power and the media was on to him but I do not think he was frighted that he would lose it. Just because you are no longer in a position does not mean that you automatically loose power and I am sure that they were not going to take away all of his money, so the money would still be there. He may have been afraid when the media was catching on to him but, not for those reasons.

    ReplyDelete